(Comox Valley Record - June 6, 2012) After recent presentations to both Courtenay and Cumberland councils, the 2012 Comox Valley Car Free Sunday has been approved to proceed June 17 from noon to 5 in these two communities.
This initiative is organized by the not-for-profit organization Imagine Comox Valley and enthusiastic community partners and sponsors.
Car Free Sundays are organized all over the world as a way to bring communities together in the roads and streets of our cities, towns and villages. This year, the Comox Valley will collaborate with the people organizing the Car Free event in Vancouver (www.carfreevancouver.org) to establish some solidarity in this movement. Roads and streets are a key part of our community infrastructure. Everyone pays for them, but only some people use them on a daily basis. Car Free Sundays help to demonstrate various alternative uses of this great community resource.
Road closures are set to take place in downtown Courtenay and Cumberland to facilitate activities including everything from live music to a bicycle rodeo and more. The Courtenay route will be the same as last year, with the Cumberland closure confined to Dunsmuir Avenue from First to Fourth streets) and a small section of Second Street. Street closures will be limited and residents and businesses will be given alternative routes. Organizers are committed to ensuring the community has safe alternate routes, professional signage, clear communication about the event and trained volunteers who can assist people on the day of the event.
An event like Car Free Sunday requires community support and engagement, and organizers are actively looking for volunteers for the event. If you want to be a part of Car Free Sunday 2012, you can get involved by:
- Signing up to be a volunteer by visiting http://imaginecomoxvalley.ca and completing the sign-up form available there or contacting volunteer co-ordinator David Frisch at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Publicly supporting the idea, whether it be through conversations with friends or posts on your favourite social media channel(s);
- Signing up to be a sponsor or vendor, which can be done by sending an e-mail to email@example.com;
- Signing up by e-mail to be an entertainment or activity provider or an event leader;
- Participating in the event June 17 and encouraging others to do so, too.
Please note that organizers welcome new ideas and will do their best to incorporate any reasonable requests.
Organizers are looking forward to working with their community on the 2012 Comox Valley Car Free Sunday and would be happy to provide anyone interested with additional information or answer any questions. They can be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more, visit www.imaginecomoxvalley.ca or see the group’s Facebook page.
— Imagine Comox Valley